This recipe is bomb! Piled so high you gotta use 2 hands and get messy!! So grab some napkins and get ready for a food coma...
This recipe is one of my all time favourites! I just had to share it. It’s piled HIGH and oozing with layers and layers of fresh flavour.. omg! It will be a hit with both non vegans and vegans alike.. I’m not even joking you gotta try it. Every part of the filling is scratch made.. which we know makes all the difference. With one exception.. the ciabatta bun, but you certainly could whip up your own home made buns if that’s something you like to do. Wow that would set this baby over the top for sure. But it’s so good with a bakery bought bun as well.
I don’t know about you but I’m getting hungry just looking at this pic. Let’s get started shall we? But first I have a question.. what are your favourite vegan sandwich fillings? Let me know in the comments section.. maybe I’ll whip up a recipe or two from your suggestions and post it here and on my Instagram and Facebook. Ok back to our recipe. It’s super simple but so good.
Vegan Oyster Mushroom “Pulled Pork” on a Bun
4 vegan ciabatta buns (baked or bought)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. mustard (your favourite)
3 large king oyster mushrooms
1/2 cup bbq sauce (recipe below)
1/2 savoy cabbage
1 large carrot
1/2 cup vegan mayo (Veganaise)
1. Cut buns in half, brush the inside of each half with olive oil and set aside.
2. Cut fibrous end tips off the oyster mushrooms (about 1”).
3. Shred mushrooms with a fork or your fingers to resemble shredded pork into a mixing bowl.
4. Add in bbq sauce and gently mix until completely coated.
5. Heat up a frying pan to medium heat and add rest of olive oil.
6. Sauté the bbq mushrooms just to warm through about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Shred cabbage into long strips with a knife and shred peeled carrot with a grater.
8. Toss together cabbage, carrots and mayo until completely coated.
9. Assemble your buns. Place a good amount of warmed “pork” on the bottom of the bun, then a drizzle of mustard on top of that and top with a generous amount of slaw, then place other half of bun on top.
10. Serve immediately.
Refrigerator BBQ Sauce
MAKES: 1 jar TIME: 5 minutes
Karen Rousseau is The Vegan Hippie-Chick. Her vegan journey started in 2011 with a passion for uncovering why so many people were getting sick... could it be something in our food? And why was our beautiful planet earth looking so gloomy? And so began her deliciously plant-based recipe creations, comic book cookbook series, YouTube channel, activism and social media communities to help her connect with like minded peeps determined to save the planet, the animals and ourselves!!