It wouldn’t be the holidays without some home made chocolate bark now would it? Definitely not!! This recipe is fun, easy and a great one to make with the kids. Slap on some holiday tunes or you’re favourite Christmas movie and start creating...
I love the combo of chocolate and mint especially at the holidays. In this recipe I like to incorporate a few different types of nuts as well as candycane, it’s the perfect time to be a bit extravagant especially for entertaining. You could give special tins full of this bark as gifts too. It’ll keep in the fridge all through the holidays and into the new year.. if it lasts that long. I have it out on the table most of the time so anyone can enjoy a nibble. Here’s my recipe..
Vegan Peppermint Bark
1 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa butter
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped vegan peppermint candy canes
1. Place chopped nuts on a parchment lined baking sheet spread out evenly. Toast in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes be careful not to burn. Remove from heat.
2. In a double boiler melt cocoa butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and cacao powder whisking until it’s combined and creamy smooth. Add a bit more oil if it’s too thick or a bit more cacao powder if it’s too thin.
3. Mix in the nuts with the melted chocolate and quickly pour out on a parchment lined baking sheet spreading with an offset spatula to about 1/2” thickness.
4. Quickly sprinkle candy cane pieces on top of the nut chocolate spread so it sticks.
5. Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes or so until hardened.
6. Break into irregular pieces and store in a tin.
7. Keep it in the freezer if you don’t eat it all at one sitting.
And that’s the fun recipe. And feel free to add your favourite ingredients to switch it up. Possibilities are endless you could use nuts, seeds, dried fruit, candy and on and on it goes. Use your imagination. Please comment below and let me know what you think. Enjoy! Love you guys, Karen 🌱
Karen Rousseau is The Vegan Hippie-Chick. Her vegan journey started in 2011 with a passion for uncovering why so many people were getting sick... could it be something in our food? And why was our beautiful planet earth looking so gloomy? And so began her deliciously plant-based recipe creations, comic book cookbook series, YouTube channel, activism and social media communities to help her connect with like minded peeps determined to save the planet, the animals and ourselves!!