Green Smoothies or Green Juice are the easiest way to get started eating healthy. They rid the body of toxins (detox) that are in your system from all the unhealthy food you have been eating.. replenishing the healthy nutrients your body needs to function properly. In a short time you will begin to lose weight, feel clear headed, have more energy, stop feeling sick and heavy, your skin will clear up and glow and you will even see health problems disappear. But the biggest part is that those unhealthy cravings will subside and your body will begin to crave healthy foods. Your digestion will immediately improve and begin to function the way it is meant to.. which means no more heartburn, constipation, stomach pain bloating or discomfort.
The best way to get the most out of the cleanse is to eat meals that consist of a large variety of vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts and seeds… eating at least 1 raw meal every day. As well as exercising.. a light 20 minute workout 3 days a week or yoga will enhance your experience. I do yoga and I am very lucky to have a full sized gym in my building so I use the elliptical machine and hand held weights. Plus I don’t have a vehicle so I walk everywhere.. around 1 hour a day. Take the stairs whenever you can too.
The green smoothie cleanse can be set up to work for you.. what you are comfortable with and can handle. So here is the basic premise:
THE GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE:
Choose and blend in your high speed blender a combination of the following:
1. A Dark Leafy Green Veggie or two (ie. spinach, kale, swiss chard, romaine lettuce or parsley to name a few)
2. 2 or more Fruits & Berries (ie. raspberries, pineapple, cherries, strawberries, mango, avocado etc.) the list is endless this is where you can be creative and switch it up from smoothie to smoothie. Frozen fruits make for a nice texture in your smoothies but it’s completely optional.
3. Bananas (they will fill you up)
4. Spirulina or Chlorella (a good source of iodine)
5. Organic Protein Powder like Vega or Hemp (optional but some people find this will fill you up and provide more energy)
6. Almond or Coconut Milk/Water (optional)
THE GREEN SMOOTHIE CLEANSE:
Cleanses typically last for 3 days, 7 days or 21 days
But this is completely individual and up to you. Choose a goal for yourself and follow it through, it’s as simple as that.
Green smoothies are meant to replace meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner and/orsnacks… choose to drink a smoothie in place of 1, 2 or 3 meals every day or just at snack times. Be consistent throughout your cleanse ie. if you choose breakfast then always replace breakfasts with a smoothie. Most importantly.. drink until you are full.. you won’t get fat from a green smoothie.
THE DETOX STAGE:
Some of the things your body may go through at the beginning of your cleanse, depending on how good or bad your diet was before you started are:
1. Mild Headaches, Fatigue, Irritability…These are usually the withdrawal symptoms you experience from cutting out caffeine, sugar, processed salts, hydrogenated oils etc. don’t worry it will pass in a few days. Be sure to remember to drink lots of water this will help also.
2. Mild Diarrhea/Nausea/Gas … This is your bowels functioning properly for the first time in a long time from the added fibre from the dark greens. The high chlorophyll content from the greens is also helping to rid your body of the toxins from unhealthy food you may have been eating. You’ll find you will have regular bowel movements from now on which is normal and the way it’s supposed to be… it’s all good! Gross but good… lol
3. Hunger/Cravings.. This your body detoxing from the bad stuff and readjusting to the good stuff.. It will level out just remember to drink until your full and have snacks.. nuts, seeds and bananas are the perfect foods to curb your hunger and ward off cravings.
4. Minor Breakouts.. once again these are the toxins coming out of your system. In a few days your skin will clear up and glow like it never has before.. wow I LOVED this part the best.. people will think you are younger than you are.. trust me!! I struggled with breakouts my entire life and I tried all the miracle creams with no success if only I knew about this way of eating I could have avoided years of stress and frustration.
MY EXPERIENCE & THOUGHTS:
Soon after the start of my very first Green Smoothie Cleanse I found myself less hungry much more satisfied with oodles of energy.. I was hooked! In the very beginning I did experience a few detox symptoms like caffeine withdrawal, a bit of diarrhea and light headedness but theses symptoms were gone in about 3 days. Once my body was completely detoxed I had more energy than I can ever remember having.. it’s like being on a euphoric high. All of my senses were clearer and I now have energy at the end of my work day. I sleep better and wake up refreshed.. I can literally feel the toxins are gone from my system. You have to experience it to know what I’m talking about. Even my breath is fresher.. I used to chew gum everyday and now I don’t feel the need to. I can use all-natural deodorant and it works because my body isn’t leeching out chemicals from bad food anymore.. meaning I don’t stink!
I do cleanses now and then when I feel the need to purge especially if I’ve had a period of “cheating” with unhealthy foods. It happens, never feel bad when you have weak moments especially when you first start, you can easily get back on track. I now drink a green smoothie for breakfast as a part of my regular routine.. Feels great and I switch the ingredients up so I don’t get bored.
So there it is.. feel free to start in slowly just 1 green smoothie a day for a week will change your life I guarantee! You’ll feel so good you’ll crave more. Just keep adding more and more at your own pace. For example start out with a week of 1 smoothie a day then add one raw meal a day the next week with a short walk around the block and build up until you are drinking a green smoothie everyday, a raw meal, fruits veggies nuts and seeds… And yoga 3 times a week. You will look and feel alive in a very short period of time. It inspires me to know I can be illness, disease and drug free for the rest if my life just by changing my diet. It’s so simple you will wonder why everyone isn’t doing it. I wish you all of the best on this wonderful journey into a healthier happier new you!!!
Peace and Love, Karen (Vegan Hippie-Chick)
*Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor and do not offer medical advice on this page. Please consult your physician if you are on any medications or have any health issues that are of concern before you try any diets or this cleanse. Do not use this cleanse as a substitute for any medical treatments you may be following without consulting your physician. Thank you, Vegan Hippie-Chick
Hi I'm Karen
The Vegan Hippie-Chick Newsletter
*Sign up and receive emails filled with vegan lifestyle tips, news and special offers right in your inbox