I adore all things french, especially the food!! I used to love to eat french onion soup at this tiny restaurant in my hometown when I was a teen. My mom and I used to go there all the time.. We even tried making it at home. Now I have created a healthier version of this deliciously satisfying savoury dish. It's also a big inspiration for me as I plot and plan my dream of opening up a french-style vegan cafe in the future. I will also be creating a vegan french food cookbook which will be available soon.
Well here is the recipe. I hope you will try it out and enjoy it as much as I do. Relax with a big bowl of this soup and a glass of your favourite french wine of course! Oh la la!!
3 yellow onions (sliced into 1/4" thick rings then cut rings in half)
2 sprigs of rosemary
3 cloves garlic
6 c. of vegetable stock
1/2 c. vegan red wine
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. pink salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
gluten-free bread slices (toasted) (1 slice for each bowl)
1 pkg. Daiya Mozza Shreds
1) sauté onions in olive oil in a soup pot on stovetop on med. heat until carmelized about 30 min. stirring occasionally
2) add garlic, wine, apple cider vinegar, rosemary sprigs, vegetable broth and salt & pepper
3) simmer for about 1/2 hour until all the flavours meld together and the broth reduces to be more concentrated.. you want a nice acidic flavourful soup base here.. remove the rosemary sprigs before pouring soup into bowls
4) prepare your individual ceramic onion soup dishes.. be sure they are oven safe.. place 4 dishes on a large baking sheet
5) place 1 slice of toasted bread in each bowl.. pour onion soup over this.. leave 1/4" at the top of the bowl for the cheese
6) on top of each bowl of soup pile a good amount of Daiya Mozza Shreds
7) place baking sheet with the soup bowls in your oven and broil until the cheese is bubbling and slightly browned
8) remove from oven and serve bowls on their own plate.. warn your guests how hot the bowls are!!
This soup is amazing.. it smells wonderful, tastes even better.. you will wow your guests.. I guarantee it!! Serve it with a lovely bottle of red french wine.. choose an organic vegan one of course! Who says healthy can't be delicious and fun!
Peace & Love, Karen (The Vegan Hippie-Chick)
Hi I'm Karen
The Vegan Hippie-Chick Newsletter
*Sign up and receive emails filled with vegan lifestyle tips, news and special offers right in your inbox